Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Christmas Around the World


Where oh where did November go?
I am AMAZED how the days are flying by in Kaysville, Utah...
We are in the middle of SEP Conferences this week ... so with short school days and long teacher conference nights... my schedule is SO off of whack!!
Next week we only have 2 school days before Thanksgiving Break... and then when the kids come back it's CHRISTMAS!!!   AAhh!!
For the past 18+ years, I have enjoyed Christmas Around the World.  I have made CouNTleSs types of booklets, reports, pages, suitcases, etc.
However, my favorite was from 2005...
It was a small pocket book that allowed me to study and "visit" (through children's literature) 5 different countries.
We traveled to:
Mexico
Germany
Israel
Africa and
returned to the USA via the Polar Express.

We used our maps to locate the country and discussed continents and oceans.
We read a children's picture book and shared a recipe or traditional treat from that country. Then we became a bit artsy and made a craft to tie in with the country's customs and traditions.


 Each country has 2 bookmarks tucked inside the page pocket (that is the ribbon sticking out) ... 1 bookmark has the recipe and the other has the title and author of the book.




We returned home 'just in time' for WINTER BREAK via the Polar Express.
The final day before break we snuggle up with hot chocolate, cookies and winter hats to watch the Polar Express.

It is such a fun time of year and nice to work some of our social studies into the curriculum. I decided to go back to my favorite... so in between conferences, I'm typing up the pages for easy assembly and completion.
Let's hope that I can finish it within a couple of days and get it posted!!
I plan to add it to my TpT file of Christmas Around the World from last year... just another option for teachers :)

Last years file...







 Ta da!! This has become a VERY LONG post... sorry.
The newest version has been uploaded to the same file as last years... so
now there is more to choose from ;)







 Africa, Israel, Sweden, Mexico, Germany and U.S.A.
(My sweet Candian friends... I can easily add a page for your home... let me know ;) 




3 comments:

The Hands-On Teacher said...

That is such a cute idea Lory!!! Very fun!

Marie
The Hands-On Teacher in First!

Miss Foote said...

I love this! Looking forward to it on TPT!

Laurie
Chickadee Jubilee

Thriving Third Graders! said...

I can't wait to see your documents! This is FABULOUS!!!