Thursday, July 31, 2014

New... McGraw Hill Reading Program




I finished a little project for some of the new reading materials 
we received over the summer. 
The kids and I ran into the classroom to drop off some purchases and found a massive pile of boxes in the doorway.  Right away Alex and Emma sliced them open and began unloading 800+ books.  It was a bit overwhelming.
Once I had a chance to wrap my head around it... I organized the books into units and weeks and placed them in these little labeled boxes.


I also picked up these little pouches at Walmart.
I thought I might used them for some word sort activities.


My goal is to get the first week of reading outlined and planned... so far,
I haven't done much.  I do know that I'm going to combine the basal program, district routines and Daily 5 together.  I've created a few files for the Wonders series.



Each week we have a list of high frequency words...
 so I created a 8 1/2" x 11 (that I plan to blow up 129% to 11x14) list to hang and review.
I also made a page for each week for the kids to complete during Word Work.
The graphing activity changes throughout the weeks.




For the vocabulary... I made a few variations... a card with word and definitions, a card without the word but with the definition and finally just the word.


The essential questions are 8 1/2 by 11 also, but I plan to enlarge them 129%
 also for a 11x14 chart. Big ideas are a FREEBIE.



 Fast and Fluent = Fun!  This file combines spelling, phonics and fluency.


Students receive a page a week (or available in booklet form... see preview). They practice reading their spelling words in quick sentences.  They time themselves or with Read to Someone and record their timings three different times.  Hopefully becoming more confident, fluent and successful readers.

The spelling words were created were created to hang in a pocket chart OR laminated with a small magnet on the back for a white board.


Last but not least... in fact, it's my favorite... HomEWorK!
I send home a Homework Folder each week with a spelling list, math game board and weekly note from the class.  This will replace my spelling list. It now includes the list AND vocabulary AND high frequency words.  I will print it back to back!


I'm so not ready to return to school or a schedule or fast routine.
I am glad however to have a few items to get me started.
My goal... to get into the Teacher Edition this weekend before a staff development
 Aug 5th and 6th.
If you are interested in any of these 2nd Grade McGraw-Hill materials
they will be available 50% off thru the 6th.
The book box labels are a Google Doc and available through the link below.

.




Becca is having a fun giveaway.  Stop by to enter!!



 photo signature-30.png

3 comments:

Melissa B. said...

I love some of your templates!! Would you consider selling them in an editable format ? We won't be adopting for 2 more years. Just an idea! Clark723@gmail.com

Janiel Wagstaff said...

Lory,
You are amazing! These projects are taking me forever and you whip them out so fast! These look really helpful!
Lots of love...hope to talk soon...and the pool is still waiting!
xxoo -Janiel

Ashlea Hatcher said...

Do you have the work on writing task cards available to buy on TpT? Thank you :)
ashleabrooke09@yahoo.com